In our busy lives it can be easy to loose sight of the importance of your oral health, we can become a little slack with our oral health habits.
Did you know that more than half of the people around you haven’t seen a dentist in the last two years, and nearly 40% of people never floss or clean in between their teeth!
We recommend regular 6 monthly dental checkups where one of our friendly dentists will examine your whole mouth including your teeth, gums and tongue and check for any signs of problems developing such as cavities, poor oral health or gum disease….or hopefully tell you that you are doing a wonderful job and all is looking well.
OUR TOP TIPS FOR WHOLE MOUTH ORAL HEALTH
- Brush twice per day. There are an estimated 20 billion bacteria in your mouth and they reproduce every 5 hours!
- Use a toothpaste that contains flouride to help strengthen the enamel of your teeth and make them less susceptable to decay.
- Don’t skip cleaning between your teeth once per day using floss, inter-dental brushes or super-floss for those of you with braces or difficult to reach places! Flossing is also best done when you have the time and energy to do it. So for example, if you are a morning person do it first thing in the morning when you brush your teeth, others may prefer to do it after lunch or at night if you are a night owl.
- Chewing sugar free gum after meals (yes it must be sugar free!) can prompt your mouth to produce more saliva, which helps neutralise decay-causing acid attacks.
- Make water your beverage of choice as it will rinse food and acids from your teeth and in most areas it contains flouride. It’s calorie free, sugar free and cost nothing!
If you are uncertain about your brushing or flossing technique, one of our dentists would be happy to give you a demonstration and explain how at your next dental checkup.
Call to make an appointment on (07) 3203 0162.
The Dbay Team